Thursday, March 4, 2010

In and out of Love

I'm trying to fall in love with writing again.


Because, lately I've been much more out than in. I'm pretty sure this is due to the many rejections that I've had and some long years of being THIS close, then SO far, then THIS close again (note to self: printing out a boatload of rejections in one day doesn't help one's mood and takes all your printer ink) (also note to self: what you already know- that this is part of the writer's life. sidebar: knowing this does not make the pain any less).

But the other night I dreamt of characters that I had put aside a long time ago. They were talking to me again. Living and breathing and moving about in my mind. Wheels were turning. This made me happy and at the same time quite nervous. Part of me wanted to tell them to just go away. What good would them bugging me do? Then a new idea came to me * poof* of another really good story. With twists and turns, love and romance. I could see it so clearly that I was smiling and laughing at the fun of it all and then once again with a wave of my hand I was wishing it away.

But they won't go away. They are still there. Forcing me to sketch out ideas and pushing me to do the painful work of coming up with some sort of plot. And then the more painful work of stringing together some sort of WORDS. Oh well, this is life. My life and mind and I just have to go with it. I will write because the stories want out and I want to get them out or I'll never get any rest.


So the files will be made. Where they go from there... I just don't know.







Photo fm Dabawenya






Best,
Kwana

18 comments:

###### said...

i love writing...but like you it comes and goes..it will come back...i would love to publish a book...

Ina in Alaska said...

Go with it!!

Unknown said...

This may be the perfect time for you to write that book...since the characters have re-surfaced. Don't just file it away but do something with it.

I sure know what rejections feel like but I believe that with your abilities and passion for writing, something good is on it's way.

That's Not My Age said...

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious here... but one of my friends did a creative writing course and is writing a novel and she told me that you've just got to write it down, even if you're not that happy with it/it's not that great. You can go back and edit later but you will eventually get to the good bit.
So Kwana, write!

Formerly known as Frau said...

Sounds like you got your Mojo back...listen to the voices and get writing. You are a writer after all remember your love.

Maria Geraci said...

Write it, Kwana!

pve design said...

Hey, wait a minute -Is that not what the premise of your blog is about -"Kwana writes" so even if the words are not always there nor published, writing is what you love. When you follow your passions, they eventually will love you back. At least that is what I was told. Now get writing and ask Jack to be a good muse or slash assistant, water boy, coffee or tea boy. Atta girl, you can and you will write in and out of love!!
Pull up the boot straps, buckle yourself to that writing desk and get to work. No ifs, ands or buts about it, write it.
pve

Karen L. Simpson said...

when I first started writing I ignored my story and the main charaters for a good two year. Until One night ten years ago I dreamt I heard a girl named Grace screaming what would become the first line of the first draft of my novel. I woke up sweating, got up and began writing and didn't look back. The novel with Grace will be published next year.

Go with your dream, listen to your charaters. Write and keep writing.

Deidra said...

Kwana-

First, let me say that I love your parenthetical thoughts in this post. They make me smile. I think just like that...good, then bad, then back to good again.

Now, let me say that it will happen. It will. A door will open when you least expect it. My son always says to me, "Pay attention." He says that even when what we think is the worst thing ever has happened, even then it's all good. I can't wait to buy your book at Barnes and Noble!

Jax Cassidy said...

I've totally been there. Hummm,kinda am now. LOL -- I think you need to push on even when you don't want to, because you will find that drive back. I know I've got a lot going on so it's impacting the way I view my writing but I know that you want to publish so you will never give up writing! :) You can do it!

Purple Flowers said...

You can do it - your dream were telling you that. Believe in yourself, and all will fall into place.

Tiffany said...

I too love to write and can understand your frustration especially when another great idea comes to mind. Sometimes you wan to silence it but the creativity inside of you won't let that happen. Go ahead and embrace it, you never know where this story will take you.

Tiffany
http://liferequiresmorechocolate.blogspot.com

Marilyn Brant said...

Kwana, there are so many ups and downs in this industry that it can make a writer get whiplash...BUT the magical part, IMO, is what you just described so well--those characters and their story coming to life like that for you. Put it on paper ;).

mizwrite said...

I agree with Marilyn -- The magical part is what we all hang in there for! Write the book you would love to read. That way, it's always fun. ...

Joyce said...

Exciting my friend!! Remember to listen to that inner voice- it is telling you something. Write, write, write.... xo

Unknown said...

The characters want out...only you can do that. Strike those keys, pen to paper--for writers thinking about writing is always there. I started reading your blog last fall when you posted about the month long writing marathon. Are there similar ones this spring?
b

Kwana said...

Thanks for all your encouraging words. You really shouldn't have but you are the best bloggy friends evah!

Barbara I don't know about a Nano in the spring it is usually for November here is the site:
http://www.nanowrimo.org/

They are doing a script one in April but you can make any month an Nano month and just challenge yourself.

I did just here that this is National Editing Month for all that Nano work. I hope this helps.

Unknown said...

Kwana, thanks for your reply.
Barbara

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 

blogger templates | Make Money Online