pur⋅pose :1. the reason for which something exists or is done, made, used, etc.
2. an intended or desired result; end; aim; goal.
3. determination; resoluteness.
4. the subject in hand; the point at issue.
5. practical result, effect, or advantage: to act to good purpose.
Last night while pulling tear sheets for inspiration on a story I’m working on I came across an article in an old issue of Essence Magazine called Finding The Path to Your Purpose written by Monique Greenwood.
It got me thinking a question that I often ask myself. Am I following my purpose? You see I really want to be. Because I believe if I’m not then I’ll never be truly successful or happy. But how do you know if you’re "On Purpose" or how do you stay the course when things are not quite working out or the dream is just not materializing or life just keeps throwing marbles in your path?
Well, how do you know? Don’t look to me for the answers I’m asking the questions here today.
Ok I’ll give you a few suggestions from the article that I thought were pretty good and lastly one from me that may or may not be total junk. Hey, you can take it or leave it. I'm just me.
1. Put yourself in the picture: imagine yourself in the role you want to be. Sketch out a collage or storyboard. Visualization helps keep us on track
2. Forge full steam ahead even if only for 15 minutes: Don’t wait for Someday. Someday usually never comes. Right? Take it from the great procrastinator.
3. Ring up a role model: Surround yourself with a few good people that are true cheerleaders. Or better yet a mentor. Have positive people in your corner. No downers allowed.
4. Persist despite the fear: Fear is the great paralyzer and time sucker. Don’t let it stop you from realizing your dreams. Just don't.
5. The last tip from me is live with hope and faith and step out on it because it doesn’t matter how much you hope and dream it all takes work. Hard work to see it all come true. And if it is your true purpose it should come true, eventually, and you will be smiling big when it does. Inside and out.