Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Doubt

“You need to learn to Doubt your Doubts.”


These were the best words that I heard over this weekend. They were spoken by my pastor in church this Sunday. The sermon topic was: “Faith that conquers fear”.

Fear. My own dear friend and late night snack companion. Then the question came up: well, what do you do when you have doubts?

Doubts. Those insidious little creatures that seep into your head telling you that you: can’t write it, have no talent, it won’t work out, you won’t succeed, all is lost, your looks are gone, your body is shot, you don't have the smarts, it's over or whatever else your nasty little creature like to whisper.

We all have Doubts. But a good way to deal with doubts is to learn to doubt them.
Hmm… Doubt the Doubts. Put them on the defensive (eek I hope I used that term right DH). Break the paralyzing hold they have, making them less effective and faith more powerful. Tell that little creature critic to SHUT UP. Brush it off your shoulder and move on. There is work to do. I’m feeling powerful.

Sidebar: Um, friends remind me to give this speech to myself again in about 3 or 4 days when I'll no Doubt (ha) be needing it again.

On another note: I was quoted in The New York Times from my earlier post on Frank McCourt. You can read the Times article here. Thanks to all the new visitors who have stopped by. Welcome. I hope you come on back or better yet follow me. Gasp.
The best parts about being in The Times?

1. Honoring Mr. McCourt
2. It’s not that far a stretch from The Bestseller List.
3. Being called a romance writer without a bit of snark or a ripped bodice. WIN!


Best,
Kwana

17 comments:

Leciawp said...

I love that quote. And congrats on the media attention! I loved your post about Frank McCourt.

Unknown said...

I'm so very happy for your accomplishment. I loved what you shared about doubting your doubts. I'm such a doubter so I needed this.

Debra said...

This is such a great post Kwana. Doubt the doubts...Reminds me that my sweet, late Mom use to say to me...'you feel guilty if there is nothing to feel guilty about'...
Yhay for you being in the NYT's. I bet that felt reallllly great! You deserve it darlin'.

Formerly known as Frau said...

Love it,Doubt your doubts!! Congrats on NY Times. You should walk tall today chin up my friend!

pve design said...

From the book of TAO ~
"She withdrew into herself,
First writing just for one,
Then touching thousands.
She incarnated ghosts, hurt, and joy
Into paper-an-ink stories of wonder.

For whatever you doubt, just doubt your doubts and write those doubts down...for just one.
Beyond a shadow of a doubt your words will soon be stories for more than just one and for many.

NY Times article should be added to your site, darlin!

Unknown said...

Hi :)
This is without a doubt the best no doubting blog post yet.
:)
Thanks for sharing!
Love from Canada
twitter.com/RKCharron
xoxo

Keri Mikulski said...

Great stuff. Love it!! :)

Congrats on the NYT quote. :)

Braque68 said...

You are a true inspiration!Great post today! I need to doubt my doubts too!

David Dust said...

Great things are on the horizon for you Kwana. No doubt.

XOXOXOXOXOXO

Kristen Painter said...

Doubt can suck it. I have work to do.

Deidra said...

Oh wow! Congratulations on the NYT!

During my break H and I watched Doubt, and it has stuck with me. Your post, and that movie reminded me of a book I once read titled, "Tell Yourself the Truth." The title alone was enough to get me out of my funk. Oh the lies we tell (and believe about) ourselves!

Ina in Alaska said...

Wow, the NYT!!! Have a lovely day Miss Kwana!! xoxo

Kwana said...

Thanks so much for the kind comments. Patrica you are right. I have to find a way to put that on the site.

No doubting today!

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

I did see you in the paper this morning. Lovely quote in honor of Mr. McCourt. Lovely man, and he sounds like such an amazing teacher. We need more of his kind.

I once had a most successful actor tell me that if you are doubting your talent....that means you are a truly creative person!

KT Grant said...

Nice quote!

Melissa @ I Pick Pretty said...

Wow - a NYT mention! I'm sorry again for the reason behind it, but I'm so glad the wider world will get to see your nice tribute.

And I'd say a NYT mention is a decent antidote to doubt, no?

Kristin said...

Don't we all struggle with doubts? I surely have the last few weeks. Happens everytime my agent sends out another round of submissions. Missed seeing you at Nationals. I was lonely this year.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 

blogger templates | Make Money Online