Monday, July 20, 2009

Interview with a Lady


Happy Monday!

Today we have a treat. An interview with fashion forward London blogger, one of my faves, Ronke Adeyemi aka Ondo Lady!

Hi Ronke. Thanks so much for hanging with us here at Kwanawrites today. I’ve been a big fan of your blog The Musings Of Ondo Lady for a long time and am honored to have you here.

Thanks for featuring me Kwana.

Please tell us a little bit about your background?

I did a degree in marketing and communications and went on to do a post grad diploma in journalism with hopes of going into that field. I did some adhoc freelancing for various mags such as Pride, Suave as well as The Voice and then got a job working on an entertainment publication called Ticketmania. I did a lot of general reporting and writing and got a real sense of what it was like to to work on a magazine. Then I launched an online magazine called kudosmgazine which covered the arts and entertainment scene in the UK. I loved working on this magazine but it did not exactly pay the bills so I began to take on freelance press and pr work which led to marketing positions.. I then saw a position as a marketing and PR officer for a film festival up in Manchester and I thought ‘oooh that looks interesting’ I applied for it and got it and moved up there. The job was certainly interesting as it gave me a great insight into using the marketing mix and brokering sponsorship deals so when I moved back down to London I was able to get roles freelancing in marketing. I freelanced for two years for a variety of companies and last year I saw a role advertised as a marketing officer for a creative arts university so I went for it and got it.

What was the inspiration for starting your stylish blog?


I have always loved writing, I actually used to have a print magazine and an online mag back in the day but due to cost and time I had to fold it. I came across blogs back in 2006 and saw them as a diary and I fancied the idea of having one but was not sure if I could sustain it. The last thing I wanted was to set one up and then leave it abandoned but on 1st January 2007 I decided to take the plunge. I started off on Yahoo 360 which was a really basic blogging platform but the community was great. I set myself a target of writing at least once a week and it went from there. The blog on Yahoo 360 was a lot different from the one on Blogger as it was more personal but I wanted to move from that and create more of a magazine like blog, also there were technical issues on Yahoo which frustrated me. So I began looking around and decided to go with Blogger and their format allowed to create a blog that is more visually appealing and also where I can write about things that inspire me like films, books, magazines, music, TV and art. It has been great.

You are always on the cutting edge of style and pop culture, how do you stay so in the know?

I get my sources everywhere and anywhere. I read Gawker, Jezebel, Catwalk Queen, mediaguardian and countless blogs to keep me in the know.

Where do you see your blog leading you to down the road?

Eventually I would like to see the blog turn into a magazine whether it is online or print. I guess online considering the economic climate.

What projects are you currently working on?

At the moment I am working on an event called, You’re Beautiful, Woman which celebrates Black beauty in all forms. There will be fantastic talks on styling, fashion, natural hair & beauty, health, relationships, fitness and inner beauty and there will also be workshops and stalls. The event takes place on Saturday 15th August at Highgate Newton Community Centre, 25 Bertram Street, Highgate London N19 5DQ. It is produced by a team of seven other wonderful and talented women; Angie Brice, Sophia Jackson, Aderonke Lawal, Angel Smith, Lillian Ogbogoh, Margaret Udofia. Between us we amass a wide variety of skills in marketing, PR, hair care, event management, graphic design and journalism.

Tickets are £5 and you can buy them online at http://www.yourebeautifulwoman.com/

Great! So all you in London should not miss this event. Wish I were there.

Once again, Ronke, thanks for taking the time to visit with us. You can check Ronke out at her fab blog The Musings Of Ondo Lady here.

Best,
Kwana

5 comments:

Joyce said...

Kwana thanks for the great interview with Ronke. I'm off to visit her site. xoxo

pve design said...

Kwana,
I remember telling you all about Ondo Lady and how the two of you reminded me of one another, both always on the pulse of fashion and style and writing.
I wonder - does Ondo Lady knit?
Great Interview!!
pve

Leciawp said...

Great interview! Happy Monday xoxo

Anonymous said...

Great interview. Her blog is defintely one of my destinations.

Kwana said...

Thanks for you comment. I do remember Patricia and I have been a fan since that day. Love Ondo Lady. Thanks so much for the intro.

Thanks for all the wonderful comments.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 

blogger templates | Make Money Online