Thursday, July 9, 2009

Heart of Glass


Growing up I had a small lavender room that was really the dining alcove converted into my bedroom. It was tiny, but I was thrilled to have it and be on my own and out of the room away from my little brothers. I had a fabulous view of the George Washington Bridge and the Hudson River that I now know I didn't appreciate enough.
On the wall facing me was life sized poster of Prince (Le sigh) and on the wall behind me was another life sized poster of Debbie Harry.

I also had a cassette player and radio and a pair of headphones that was my lifeline next to my cool circular phone. Music is during these formative years I think just about as important as the books we read. It somehow creeps into our soul and makes us a bit of who we'll later become. What ideas and ideals we'll have about life, love, romance, sex is echoed in the music we love. And now that I write that I have to say it does matter what our kids listen too or at least how they process it.


All art that's put out for human consumption whether through the eyes, ears or mouth matters when it touches the soul. Once it does that it makes a change.
I wonder now how much the playing and replaying of Parallel Lines had on my later relationships.
How much the playing of what my kids are listening to now will have on them later?


And we won't even go there with Dirty Mind. Oh Prince. Thanks so much!

Best,
Kwana

13 comments:

Formerly known as Frau said...

I was in college during the Prince hits. I'd listen to him for hours...probably should have been studying. Such good memories.....ah!! Those were the days!

Debra said...

You bring back memories. Music today has lost something!!! I listen to classical to relax me while sketching. Funny how age changes things!

Joyce said...

I had a lavender room too and love to listen to Prince! Oh the memories.
Enjoy your day!!

Sheryl said...

Oh Kwana your sending me down memory road. I have heard that song in ages. I don't remember that picture of Prince but I did listen to his music all of the time.

Think I'll turn the radio on the oldies station. It's scary when the music we grew up with makes it to the oldie station :)

Deidra said...

I loved this post of yours today! Oh do I ever remember Prince. I once wore a t-shirt with his face on it to a college Bible Study. Let me just say it didn't go over well at all.

I still enjoy disco music from the eighties - much to my family's dismay. And I will always be in love with Motown.

Kristen Painter said...

You realize that song is going to be stuck in my head all day now. lol

December said...

The Purple One is unbelievable. I think I did a Elementary school talent show dance to Raspberry beret. awww yeah.

I'm a wee young for Debby Harry and Blondie to have made a huge impact, but I do appreciate it!

Leciawp said...

I haven't thought about Prince in years! Memory lane :)

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

And by the way (continued from my comment on your last post)...that picture of Prince is high-lair-ee-ous!! :-)

Melissa @ I Pick Pretty said...

This is so true. I often think back to how much more I felt, lived, and breathed the music I listened to in my formative years. Not that I don't enjoy it now, but it was somehow different then.

soodie :: said...

Amen to that! You are so right. I idolized Blondie and still covet her calm, unflappable demeanor to this day.

Unknown said...

I still like listening to Prince, mainly his old stuff. Debbie Harry sounds familiar...hmmm.

T.Allen said...

True; I struggle to connect with a great deal of today's music (I sound like I'm 106) and have found myself on "repeat". Edie Brickell, Depeche Mode, Kate Bush and Prince make up a soundtrack of a simpler time-heck, I even had "extra" money then!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 

blogger templates | Make Money Online