Friday, July 10, 2009

The Magic Box

Inspiration. Who knows where it comes from. For me it comes from everywhere and at the worst and most important times nowhere at all. Sigh.

I was checking out TED which I love. Trolling for inspiration and a little motivation when I came across this wonderful talk from Lost creator J.J. Abrams.

It's so good especially for this quote: "That blank page is a magic box." What a fresh way to look at it. With magic. It's a way to open your work up to endless possibilities. Taking away the restrictions of the critic sitting on your shoulder or the evil little troll in your head saying, "oh no you can't do it that way or go in that direction."

Then he gets into the magic of the mystery box. The lure of anticipation, the unknown and the excitement of it. Watch and enjoy.




What's your mystery box? Mine is a Dell and my Nikon and of course my crazy Gemini mind.

Best,
Kwana

12 comments:

Cheryl said...

Thanks for sharing this! It's a great way to think of the blank page, or canvas.

T.Allen said...

Thanks so much! Fiction writers *truly* are another breed, but I think the g'pa's box analogy works across the board.

Dawn said...

My husband is a HUGE JJ Abrams fan, so thanks for the video clip, I'll show it to him when he gets home!

Debra said...

The blank page offers so many possibilities, doesn't it? Off to listen now. thanks for sharing and I hope you have a great weekend.

Deidra said...

Any blank "page" inspires me. Even the styrofoam boxes for taking home leftovers from my favorite restaurants. I find myself sitting there with a pen at the end of my meal, doodling or writing on the top of that box.

Great video! I will share it with my son, the aspiring film director.

Melina said...

Love this! I'm also a huge fan of TED. Thanks for sharing! :-)

Ina in Alaska said...

Hi Kwana! Hope you, Jack and the Dear family will have a super weekend!! xoxo

Jess LC said...

Thanks for sharing! I loved his presentation almost as much as I love LOST.

:) Have a great weekend!

Unknown said...

Anything can be a magic box for me. I love to write and draw so if there's blank space, I'm all over it.

Joyce said...

Thanks for sharing and have a golden weekend my friend! xoxo

Jax Cassidy said...

I'm with you Kwana.

Dell. ditto. Nikon. ditto.

Maria Killam said...

Kwana, of course you are a Gemini, we have to be creative or die. (I am one too)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 

blogger templates | Make Money Online