Sunday, April 19, 2009

"I'll be down when I put on my lipstick"

These are the words Little Edie yells to the hoards of police and other authorities about to break in her door and take over her house. "I'll be down when I put on my lipstick." What wonderful nerve.


I watched the premiere of HBO's Grey Gardens propped up comfortably in bed ala Big Edie style. I really enjoyed the HBO version with it's many flashbacks to give us clues as to how the 2 women could have fallen into such horrible states of despair both inside and outside of their heads.




I thought it was beautifully done, this way too intertwined mother daughter strange love story. I wanted to cry a the first glimpse of how Grey Gardens once looked. It was so sad. But the clutter was more inside the head and heart, I believe and not in the house.



Through it all they had amazing style and flare that could not be denied. Staunch Women. Oh yes. Staunch Indeed.


Please check out Visual Vamp for a wonderful story about her summer encounter with Little and Big Edie. Just lovely and heart warming. Click here.

Best,
Kwana

10 comments:

###### said...

I loveddddd the movie..I was as excited as you! I now want the original..just very complex people..I can see how they fell to that...but clearly something was "wrong" with them both but in a different way..

Ondo Lady said...

LOL what a great line and so right too. A lady should never go anywhere without putting on her lipstick. I have heard a lot about Grey Gardens - it seems to be going down like a storm. However, I am not really a fan of period dramas as we are inundated with them over here in the UK.

Kristen Painter said...

I canceled all my movie channels. There was never anything on.

Lise said...

The eccentric in our world always seem to be objects of ridicule to the "normal" citizens. What HBO did so beautifully is (as you pointed out) illustrate the humanity, the soul and the strength of these two odd ladies. I have been intested in this story since I read - not anything about the Beales - but that Ben Bradlee and his wife, Sally Quinn had purchased and lived at Grey Gardens. Additionally, this Sunday's NY Times carried a piece on the restoration of the gardens themselves.

They might have been odd - perhaps insane if someone wants to be harsh - but darned if they were not survivors on their own terms.

alison giese Interiors said...

I thought it was very well done, and yes, very sad. I do wish I'd seen the documentary beforehand, though.
I won't be surprised if Lange and/or Barrymore end up being nominated for awards for the work.
Nice post!

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, I don't have HBO and didn't get to watch the movie. I have seen the documentary on these two endearing and mentally unstable women. It's ultimately a very sad story and really broke my heart. Mental illness ain't no joke!!

Ina in Alaska said...

We tuned in sadly during the last hour, but OH what a wonderful hour it was! Spellbinding, mesmerizing women and I was also taken with Little Edie's lipstick comment.... very well done, I hope to catch it from the beginning soon.... It was heartbreaking but the mother and daughter had a lovely, interesting relationship.

Melissa @ I Pick Pretty said...

Happy to hear your review! I want to see this, but have been told to watch the original documentary first. In any event, looking forward to seeing it.

pve design said...

I too watched it from the comfort of my bed.
Marvelous acting, what a relationship, only a mother and daughter can know the bond - no matter what they endured, their love for one another gave them
purpose. In their own minds, they were stars, on their own stage - lipstick and all.
pve

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

I thought it was a wonderful interpretation of their story. And such a tragic story. I've never been able to fathom how they could have existed in such filth. Disturbing. And how much I would love to see photos of what Sally Quinn has now created at Grey Gardens. It makes me happy to know she's restored the grandeur.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 

blogger templates | Make Money Online