Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The More things Change II

What's Jack up to? Jackster is being a sly one. Constantly sneaking off lately and getting into things that he's not supposed to. Oh that Jack what am I going to do with you?

Dancing with the Stars started last night and for me the only reasons to watch were Susan Lucci and Toni (un-break my heart) Braxton. That body of Toni’s is amazing after two babies. Man. Another reason to watch is to see Chef Rocco DiSpirito try and dance. Most of you know my hate/ hate relationship with him from Top chief. I want to see Karina give him a run for his money. Bruno actually brought up the word cattle prod when referring to him. Hmm...


I have a small rant today. You can read about my old rant on this subject in The More Things Change here. After perusing the big honking 798 page September Fall fashion issue of Vogue I noticed the slim editorial section didn't have not one black model. NOT 1. And after they waxed so poetic on the subject the month before. And sadly this month even in the way too many pages of advertising there were very few Black models or models of any diversity.



Kudos to Harper's Bazaar for their September Tyra cover, Michelle Obama inspired spread and and their Benneton inspired spread which looked back to the 8o's to move forward. Refreshing. Now why don't I subscribe to Bazaar. I really should.






best,
Kwana

5 comments:

Kristen Painter said...

I've pretty much given up on fashion mags - in that I don't read them anymore. After all, living in FL I don't really need to know what sweater looks are in for fall or what boots I should be wearing, you dig?

Still, I like to see pretty clothes. But I like to see them on all colors of people, not just my own.

Elizabeth Kerri Mahon said...

You know it is funny about Vogue, because other Conde Nast magazines like Lucky, and Glamour normally use many black models as does Marie Claire. I think it has something to do with Anna Wintour and her scrawny self. Loved Nigel though pointing out that Toccara had more pages than any of the other black models in Italian Vogue.

Kwana said...

Hi Kristen. I hear ya but I just can't give up my mags. Ii love fashion way too much. Just for the art of it. But it is a frustrating thing.

I don't know what it is with Vogue Elizabeth. It burns me up. So many beautiful girls out there of all races. I do still love Toccara.

Brown Girl Gumbo said...

I don't know if fashion mags will ever wake up and realizer that we're the ones buying these items!!!

I don't know what it is with Vogue...

Btw, I'm really loving Harper's lately!

mrs. confidential said...

that's funny. but after the italian vogue article you blogged about, i actually COUNTED the black models i saw on sept vogue! there were 3 i think. including the ads (naomi for YSL). bazaar has actually improved. it used to be so much fodder but there are actually some good writers there now. (i subscribe yes)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 

blogger templates | Make Money Online