Monday, September 1, 2008

Thieves in the Night

What's Jack up to? Just being Jack and enjoying his Labor Day. Not that he's ever laboring. He leaves all that for me. Jack is a master of chilling. He'll be spending today crafting ways to coax someone into giving him some Labor Day BBQ. I'm sure he'll prevail.


Speaking of labor, check out what happened to all my labor. There has been a thief in my backyard. I woke the other day to find all my collard greens gone. Stripped off the stalk just when they were about ready to be picked. This is what I have left from my little leaflings from the beginning of summer.


How sad is that?


I wonder what terrible night creature got to them. He'd better not let me see him. Of course I'd probably run like a little girl, but I like to think I'd give who or whatever it was a real butt kicking.


Later in the week. I'll show some happier pics of finer veggies.


In the meantime I'll enjoy a glass of Labor Day wine and some BBQ to soothe the pain. Have a wonderful day and Happy September!
Best,
Kwana

11 comments:

Natalie Hatch said...

hey Kwana, my garden was attacked by my chickens I lost every single seedling, and contemplated chicken drumsticks, chicken wings, teriyaki chicken... i used some wonderful words as well..

Marley Gibson said...

Oh Lwana! That's horrible! I say put Jack out in the garden at a watch post. That's really too bad. Good thing the store is full of veggies. = )

Marley Gibson said...

LOL...Kwana...not Lwana.

Kwana said...

Natalie I'm so sorry for your garden I'd be thinking chicken wings too!

Marley you cracked me up with Lwana. I should put Jack out there to stand guard. He'd take care of things.

My Notting Hill said...

Oh no! Two weeks ago we found a watermelon the size of a golf ball half eaten. Turns out our culprit was a chimpmunk. Was pleasantly surprised the next day to discover my son had created a little cage of chicken wire to keep the remaining 3 little watermelons safe!

Kwana said...

Oh no, Notting Hill. Thank goodness for your son.

Joanna Goddard said...

oooh very cool that you garden, although too bad about the creature! xo

Christine said...

My first guess is deer. My second guess is a ground hog. Both are voracious eaters!

It's so frustrating to have tended your vegetables all spring and summer to have some greedy critters eat it all in one night. I've been there.

Kwana said...

Thanks for the sympathy, Joanna. I've had some tomatoes and peppers that survived so all is not lost.

Christine, I think you're right about the deer or the groundhog. We've seen both. It's very sad. Almost makes me want to pack up and move back to Manhattan.

Belinda said...

What a bummer! I hope you source the collard thief/thieves and put Jack on their trail . . .

Kwana said...

Thanks Cuddle Cottage!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 

blogger templates | Make Money Online